Cream Of Spinach & Cheese Soup
CREAM OF SPINACH & CHEESE SOUP
Author: Fauzia's Kitchen Fun
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 10-12 oz of fresh spinach
- 2 cups Saffron Road chicken broth
- ½ cup of butter or one stick
- 1 medium only, finely chopped
- ½ cup of all purpose flour
- 4 cups of whole milk
- 2 cups of half and half
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1 cup medium cheddar, grated
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan heat oil and garlic cloves. Add spinach leaves and toss until wilted (takes approx 2-3 minutes). Put this in a blender and add Saffron Roads chicken broth and blend it until pureed and set aside.
- In a pot add butter and chopped onions and cook until onions are translucent on medium heat. Add the all purpose flour and keep mixing so it does not burn. When you smell a slight toasted smell, add your milk, half and half and spices (salt, pepper and chilli flakes). Continue to stir on medium heat until mixture thickens slightly (approx 20 minutes) and add your spinach puree. Allow this mixture to cook for another 5 - 10 minutes and then add your cheeses.
- Turn heat on low, adjust salt and pepper to your preference and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!